Sunday, July 19, 2009

Meeting the "Big Time" Director


I got a chance to sit in on a screening of the new film "Funny People", which stars Adam Sandler. It was written, directed and produced by Judd Apatow. Judd is in the midst of the hottest producing streak in Hollywood right now, with such hits as Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Superbad and I Love You Man. The screening was in front of the first "regular" audience, so Judd was in attendance to take questions and get feedback from the group. Here's what I took away from that event:

1. The work just begins once a movie is shot. There's a ton of PR and travel that must be done when a movie is released.

2. There are still some very nice people in Hollywood. Judd is a legitimate star, and he could not have been a more generous person with his time.

3. Nothing beats a really good story - which "Funny People" is. The best acting and directing in the world cannot cover up a bad story.

4. Comedy and emotion are a great combination. That is why I'm so excited about my story! When you can make 'em laugh and cry in the same movie, you've got something.

So, I'm more fired up than ever about making a movie. We just finished casting and we have an outstanding group of actors. I think they're gonna help me become a big time director. I'll tell you all about them next post!
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment